Subscription

Wednesday, October 4, 2023

McCarthyism Ain't What It Used To Be

 



Friends, poor Kevin McCarthy arguably never stood a chance.  While I'm surprised and disheartened by his ouster as Speaker of the House, the truth is that holding such a narrow Republican majority together was always going to be excruciatingly difficult.  C'est la guerre.  Now Republicans face the arduous task of choosing another Speaker, and of forming up into disciplined ranks (ha!) to do battle with the dastardly Dems.  In the process, they'll need to keep the government running, chip away at Biden's popularity with an impeachment inquiry, and do what they can to restrain spending and fix our broken border with Mexico.  Good luck to them!  But, to those who say that this will sink the GOP brand, I would respond that the performance of the Biden Administration in office will have far more to do with the 2024 outcome than will the antics of House Republicans.  In November 2024, Kevin McCarthy will be a minor footnote, and even that's generous.  Joe Biden and Donald Trump, on the other hand, are the substance of American politics (God help us!).  So, to all those anxious right-wingers out there, I say: this too shall pass.  At the very least, Hakeem Jeffries won't be Speaker, and that's a victory in itself!


https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2023/10/03/kevin-mccarthy-i-will-not-run-for-speaker-again/


https://www.wsj.com/politics/what-happens-next-in-the-house-speaker-race-4eee8690


https://www.newsmax.com/john-gizzi/scalise-emmer-house/2023/10/03/id/1136882/


In other news, Americans are fed up with our two-party system.  Gee, I wonder why?  The mystery is how so many Americans can support the formation of a third party, and how utterly impossible it seems to be for third parties to win elections.  Could this, however, be the moment when a third party could genuinely get off the ground?  If so, how, and of what sort?  The best prospect for a third party that I can see is for DJT to be denied the GOP presidential nomination, in which case he'd almost certainly form a Trumpist party and run anyway.  In the meantime, I don't see third parties, like the Greens or the Libertarians, doing anything but playing the role of spoilers.  And that's fine by me, just so long as they spoil things for Democrats.


https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/gallup-poll-third-party-election/2023/10/04/id/1136925/

10 comments:

  1. DR. NICK

    It's obvious that you don't want to see Biden or Trump as President of The United States of America in 2024. I can understand that. However, who is it that you do want to see as President next year? DeSantis? Who?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant Ray to Dr. Nick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's time to make some Yea

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's time to make some Tea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will that tea be served in a samovar?

      Delete
  5. What manner of hugger mugger is this above? Zounds! ( from Jack)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Raymundo, yes, I'd rather see DeSantis than Trump, but then again, if DeSantis can't keep his head above water in national politics, then I may have overestimated his virtuosity (or maybe I underestimated it, given the odious nature of national politics). In any case, I am resigned to the fact that Trump is going to be the GOP nominee, unless the Dems throw him in the "hole" and he never emerges from it, and I wish him well as a candidate, because America certainly needs to prevent the Dems from getting comfortable at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hasten to add that that doesn't mean I will contribute to Trump, or even vote for him. Maybe America can't do any better, but I surely can.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dr. Waddy from Jack: Say what! ? You dare to gainsay my devotion to DJT?! Were I a leftist I should at first subject you to withering personal excoriation, prior to abandoning this forum because of its unrelenting, insolent objectivity. Haarumph!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha ha. Quite! If you were a leftist...you'd still be a gentleman and a scholar and I'd happily spar with you on any topic. Don't get me wrong -- I hope Trump wins, but I see little point in supporting him myself.

    ReplyDelete